Taking care of your new tattoo
You were tattooed in a modern studio using aseptic techniques and sterile single use products. During your tattoo application, we have done everything in our power to ensure a clean and safe procedure. Once you leave the studio, your tattoo is your responsibility. Taking proper care of your new tattoo is just as important as choosing the right design and the right artist. Follow these simple steps to ensure a healthy healing process, and a bight bold tattoo that will last a lifetime.
When you get home from the studio
- Wash your hands & remove the bandage after 1-2 hours. Use only your clean bare hands to wash with Dial Antibacterial Liquid soap and warm water to gently wash & rinse all of the soap off your new tattoo. Gently pat the tattoo with something clean and soft. Let your tattoo air dry for about 30 minutes
then rub a small amount of fragrance free lotion into your tattoo, twice a day. Repeat this process for 2-3 weeks. A few days after application The tattoo will begin to itch, peel, and possibly scab. Some ink/skin may start to come off during washing. This is normal. Continue washing and moisturizing but don’t "help" and peel the skin off.
- Keep your tattoo free of restrictive clothing, germs, dust, dirt, grease, etc
- Practice good hygiene - shower regularly, use clean sheets and blankets on your bed, don’t allow pets in bed with you while your tattoo is healing.
Things that will irritate and damage your new tattoo - The "Do Not's "
- Do not swim/submerge your fresh tattoo in the bath, ocean, pool, river, lake, jacuzzi, hot tub etc
- Do not expose your fresh tattoo to UV rays - the Sun, tanning beds etc
- Do not pick or scratch your new tattoo or scrub it while washing it
- Do not exfoliate or use a wash cloth or sponge to wash your tattoo. Use only your clean bare hands.
- Do not use spray tan, scented lotions, petroleum products
- Do not apply too much ointment / lotion/ aftercare product on your new tattoo. A dime sized amount of lotion for a palm sized tattoo is sufficient.
- Rebandaging & not allowing air to get to your new tattoo
- Do not allow your tattoo to come in contact with pets, dirty hands, dirty clothes or bedsheets etc
- Do shave or wax the area for at least 4 weeks
Depending on the size, location and other factors, your tattoo can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to completely heal. Be patient and unless you are washing it, leave it alone.
It is YOUR responsibilty to protect your new tattoo.
Failing to care for your tattoo properly may result in color loss scarring, pain, swelling and serious infection in your tattoo and surrounding skin.
Protect your ink! After your tattoo is COMPLETELY healed protect it by wearing SPF 50+ sunblock when your tattoo is exposed to the sun.
Do you have a question about your tattoo? Call us Wednesday thru Saturday 681-247-2159 or contact your artist directly